Monday, May 9, 2011

Doing without saves money



-We use cloth napkins and occasionally use hankies
-No cable for us, on the cheapest Netflix plan we get to have a TV shows and many movie nights at home
-We filter our water at home and carry a water bottle everywhere we go... I don't remember the last time I paid for bottled water.
-We do buy seasonally at the grocery store, if not I would eat an expensive salad in the winter. $3/ea for cucumbers--no way!
-I often dig through my pantry for meals and try to empty my refrigerator before grocery shopping
-We still have a house phone but the plan is bundled with our internet and costs us little.


Other things we do to save money...
-I hem and do minor sewing repairs on clothes.
-We thrift shop whenever possible, I am currently wearing a top and jeans outfit that cost me $8... if thrift store clothes looks good then you know it will continue to look good once you bring it home. When you buy new it can go either way.
-I pack a lunch or a snack with me when I know I'll be out for the day.
-I pick fruit from abandoned trees or after asking the property owner and make jam or freeze the harvest.
-I don't go to the mall or out to "shop" instead I go the park, library, hiking and visit people at their homes.
-We don't buy $3 coffee, we make our favorite morning drink at home.

What do you do to save money?

1 comment:

  1. Well, I did a search on "save money" .... good to know I'm not the only one that goes the extra mile in order to save money.
    Nice to have found this blog.

    I'm extremely frugal, but can't deny that convenience sometimes wins.

    Congratz on the life style. I refuse to be a victim of consumerism.

    ReplyDelete