Saturday, July 17, 2010

Hanging with a pro


This past weekend Thomas and I played host to a professional triathlete.
Mel a Canadian athlete traveled to Sonoma County to compete in the Vineman Triathlon on Sunday. Many athletes who travel profesionaly prefer to do homestays rather than stay in hotels. That's how we come into playing hosts. (Volunteer it is fun!)

The professional arrived at our house on Friday afternoon and in less than two hours their bikes were out of the traveling case, built, and we were on the road for an "easy shake the travel legs short ride". Mel, her boyfriend Ross, Thomas, and I went for a speedy ride to Windsor and back. Easy my ass, but I am proud to say I did hang with a pro. Melanie McQuaid is the first person to have won the XTERRA Triathlon World Championships three times. Three times! Thanks Mel, you made my day! Heck you made my year! On sunday Melanie placed fourth, not bad considering a 70.3 class triathlon is not her thing. Go Mel!



Melanie aside from being an amazing athlete, is also a gardener and an incredible cook. Talent! For the last few years she has been trying to grow watermelons. She quickly discovered our box watermelons and wanted to know our growing secrets.

Thomas, myself, Ross and Melanie in our garden.

Kayla, our friend's daughter was also hanging out with us on Sunday. I was teaching her to take a picture.


This is her figuring it out.

**Addition: We actually got mentioned on Melanie's blog you can read it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment