Friday, July 16, 2010

The last beer

Looking back at the last week I am amazed of how much I can accomplish, even when I don't mean to do anything. When I die, Thomas could easily engrave in my head stone, "She never knew a dull moment".

The end of the week was all about figs. Thanks to my friends R & S, we got these off of a huge tree in Santa Rosa. One third of the figs will be dried, another jammed, and the other eaten on the spot. Delicious!


These days I make my own lotion. This time we infused some olive oil with herbs from the garden, let it sit in a cool dark place for a week. This (pic) is what is left. To make the salve you just combine 8 oz of oil with 1 oz of bees wax (or less), warm, stir, and you have lotion. Yes, I used bees wax from our bees.


Try it, it is really easy.


Tuxedo always makes me laugh. Like any other cat, he likes sleeping during the day, but were you will find him is always a surprise. This time he was in the garage on the ottoman on his back. Last week we found him on Lily's favorite bed, the week before on the pile of clean laundry that was still in the laundry basket. Never a dull moment with Tuxedo.




This little bird made several visits to our sunflowers this week. I finally got a somewhat decent picture of him. Every time I approached he would fly away and never return.


Cute!


It is officially blackberry season. Last year Thomas was diligent about going out to our favorite picking spots every other day and harvesting buckets of blackberries at a time. This year I think we can do the same. I have never been a fan of blackberry jam, but I will make a batch or two to give away. The rest we eat with yogurt in the morning, make pies, smoothies, ice cream, and what is left we freeze for later.


We harvested green beans, my late grandpa Nelo would have been proud. Nelo is a Spanish name, a derivative of Daniel, which means "God is my judge". Grandpa I think of you all the time.



Thomas made beer a few weeks ago. This week we drank the last few bottles.
Tasty, refreshing, and sad it is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment