Friday, October 7, 2011

Random moments on my journey to better photography

These days my camera stays at home and is often not in use because I am feeling stuck with my photography. Is it time for a class? A new challenge? An equipment upgrade?

I am at times really surprise when I capture a moment in time that tells a good story or turns out better than what I set out to do. I love how the color pops Oscars' eye and I feel like I have his point of view.


Capturing deep colors like reds and blues is still hard for me. With this picture I wanted to get a close-up of the color and detail but every time I tried (6 times with different settings and times of day) all I got was a blurry mess of red. This was the best pic. Not bad but not what I wanted. Frustration!

I have been able to play around with the focus subject of the picture to capture a different perspective. It works.

Almost every time but I desire to get even closer. I wanted that lady bug to be 2x or 3x bigger. So it is time for a new lens.

I still stink at taking good indoor pics. This is as good as it gets at times. Lots of shades, a tinge of yellow halo on everything and if I change a thing it becomes overexposed. So, yeah I do need some more instruction.
Thomas is harvesting honey from our hives. It was a deliciously delicate honey this year.


This year I have been working on letting other people take the picture, that way I am included in the action. I like asking others, most people are very happy to oblige.
This was a swarm catch and I stopped a few strangers that were more than happy to chronicle the entire catch. They were visiting from Oregon and asked me to email them the pics.
Now that I have mastered asking others to take the picture I want the courage to take pictures of strangers. I love taking photos of people but don't dare. Oh, I think that is my new challenge! D go out into the world and take photos of strangers at least one a week for 52 weeks.

Eager to catch a good pic I forget about shadows. The good thing is that I review my pics on the camera screen and for the most part am able to catch the mistake and re-take the shot. Got to love DIGITAL!

We are still doing a bit of 'long arm photography'. For some time I was trying to change my ways but we kind of like these awkward photo moments. So now we take them on purpose. We also take foot shots when we go hiking and shadow shots when the sun is setting. The collection of these moments is growing and I see an art project in my near future.

I do hang on to a lot of pictures that don't really need. When I captured this moment I took 13 other pictures of the same thing as I was trying to get it just right. Well I still haven't deleted the 12 that didn't really work. So my computer is loaded with pictures that are meant for the trash. This task will be added to my next to do list. "Delete obsolete photos STAT"

No comments:

Post a Comment