Thursday, September 9, 2010

T Goes Solo

Diana has let me drop in as a guest contributer to her blog. Here are some photos from my recent solo backpacking trip to Caribou Lakes (Thompson Peak attempt) and summit climb on Mt Shasta. Spending this time in nature was a much needed break from my everyday routine. I used to take solo trips like this more often when I was younger and it was good to reconnect with this activity.









After 4 hours of hiking through Sugar Pine forest, pygmy pine forest, and then skirting the granite flanks of Caribou Mountain (8,575 ft), Thompson Peak at 9,002 ft, the tallest mountain in the Trinity Alps, comes into full view.





Alpine Flaurel Arrangment

Caribou Lakes Basin

Snowslide Lake

Caribou Lake, the largest high alpine lake in the Trinity Alps

Unfortunately, no caribou here, probably hunted to extinction a while ago. However, this curious deer decided to strike a pose and represent.

Now off trail hiking along a ridge trying to get closer to the Thompson Peak ridge. With a 30 lbs + pack, this terrain was very challenging to walk on.

After this shot, I finally decided to throw in the towel. My determined efforts to reach Thompson Peak from the NE route turns out to be longer and exceedingly more difficult than I had presupposed. Time to figure how to get off this ridge and back down to the lake to camp for the night.

This was the least steep terrain I could find to down climb on from the ridge. It would have been mildly challenging to climb up but climbing down was was a real adrenaline pumper.





Finally, Caribou Lake is back in sight. It won't be long now. My legs are burning!



A cold swim always feels great after a long day on and off the trail.Today I learned that in order to be successful on a new climb attempt I need to acquire a bit more first hand information. After hiking almost 10 miles plus a few miles scrambling on the ridge I am totally exhausted, as this picture shows.







Hanging out with Dad at his place in Coffee Creek for a couple of days to rest before my Mt Shasta summit attempt.

The start of the the trail towards Mt Shasta from Bunny Flat parking lot.

The cabin here at Horse Camp (7,880 ft). The cabin and surrounding acreage is owned and managed by the Sierra Club.



Hiking up towards base camp at Helen Lake. With poor weather due tomorrow afternoon I decided to skip camping near the cabin and go straight up the Helen Lake to go for the summit tomorrow morning.

I wonder if walking on Mars is similiar to this? With the exception of blue sky and gravity, of course. It is much easier to do this hike in the snow

Looking back down at the cabin.

3 1/2 hrs later, I make it to Helen Lake (10,443 ft).

Going for it the next morning! By this time I have been climbing since 3:30am all by myself. The light is welcoming though the wind is starting to whip up.

Looking down
Looking up towards the Red Banks. At this point, I would take 10 or 15 steps and then have to rest as the altitude and the 35% + slope took its toll.

Slowly making my way up the "chimney" in the Red Banks. This is where I had to stop last time on account of altitude sickness. This time no AS and feeling strong!

The cold and the wind had frozen up the hose to my camel back and was starting to freeze the water in my nalgenes.



More uphill but nothing will stop me now!





Yes, this is a Volcano. Here are the famed hot springs just below the summit where John Muir supposedly laid down in to survive a snow storm.

Summited Mt Shasta (14,162 ft.) at 9am on Tuesday September 7th 2010.





Looking west down at a glacier. Thanks for viewing photos of my recent journey. ~Thomas








2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures mate. I wish I had been there with you. I am proud of your achievement - soloing Shasta takes determination and discipline. Thompson peak looks bloody great also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my dream is to summit and now I feel that I know the steps to take to do it thanks for the info and inspiration!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete