Friday, June 18, 2010

Oscar

Two years ago Thomas and I found Oscar while walking at night on the north side of the creek trail near Willowside Road. He followed us part of the 2 mile walk home and we carried him the other half. The next morning we drove him to the animal control center thinking his owners were missing him. After two weeks no one had claimed him, so we adopted him.
What makes Oscar special? He is extremely playful, doesn't meow, and loves to lay on his side. Oscar came home from the animal shelter with a broken leg. The good thing is that they paid for his surgery, but that meant he had to wear a cast on his fractured rear leg for what felt like eternity. Since we have our cat Tuxedo at home, we had to keep Oscar in our bedroom with the cat box in the bathroom until the cast come off. A week into this ordeal, I woke up to Oscar sitting on Thomas' pillow and as soon as I opened my eyes Oscar's paw scratched my right eyeball. Not fun. We still had 7 more weeks to endure his playfulness in such a small space.

Oscar loves to hang out with Lily and will follow her around. This particular afternoon, Thomas was watching the bee hives with both Oscar and Lily at his feet. I think Oscar thinks himself a dog.


Oscar is actually a very good cat. An amazing hunter. A year ago my neighbors to the right were having rat problems. We had an open compost pile in our back yard. One morning I saw a rat checking the pile of rotting food. I stopped what I was doing, looked for Oscar, and got him on the rat's path. Two hours later he had the rat in his mouth. My neighbor ended up exterminating over 33 rats that summer. We had one! Thanks Oscar.

No comments:

Post a Comment